Lever for Change (LFC), a nonprofit affiliate of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, helps donors to find and fund solutions to the world’s greatest challenges, ranging from racial and gender equity to economic development and climate change. Building on the success of the MacArthur Foundation’s $100 million competition, 100&Change, Lever for Change customizes and manages open and transparent competitions for donors. In addition, we match donors with nonprofits and social enterprises in our Bold Solutions Network whose solutions to significant social challenges were highly ranked after rigorous evaluation in one of our competitions. The MacArthur Foundation is one of the nation's largest independent foundations. Organizations supported by the Foundation work in about 50 countries. In addition to Chicago, MacArthur has offices in India and Nigeria.
This summer, Lever for Change is seeking an intern who will assist the team as follows:
- Build on previous internal research using a social impact lens:
- What are the trends in philanthropy around supporting organizations to build their capacity and scale their work?
- What are best practices?
- Who are the thought leaders on this and with whom should we be talking?
- Help to develop new ideas for Social Impact content that speaks to the field and how we approach this type of work based on the above research
- Identify technical assistance providers for potential partnership and build out data base with additional research on each organization, their areas of expertise, leadership, etc.
- Identify 3rd party opportunities for partnership with high profile events/programs related to institutional donors, family foundations, ultra-high net worth individuals and families
- Identify and help build more efficient competition tracking/project management systems across the team/silos of work
- Help to analyze data/Bold Solutions Network organizations, including mapping where organizations are based, where projects are located and what types of organizations are in the pipeline and help create graphs, create engaging infographics and visuals to represent the group
- Explore how we can capitalize on all the tools Salesforce has to offer and seeing which might be most useful for our team’s data needs
- Other duties as assigned
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program
- Curiosity and desire to learn
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Comfort working in a diverse environment
- Familiarity with computer software and various online applications
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word is required
- Experience with Microsoft Sharepoint, Microsoft Visio, Wikis, Adobe InDesign and CRMs is preferred but not required
- Analytical mindset and skills in analysis are a plus
The MacArthur Foundation’s Chicago-based staff is working remotely from home to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 at least through June 30, 2021. At this time, the internship is expected to be a full remote/virtual experience.