For each Lever for Change competition, we have two critical goals:
- Provide an array of value-added support and feedback for all finalists participating in the competition
- Make the selection of an awardee as difficult as possible for donors by supporting finalists to put forward strong proposals strengthened through our process
Working with the right technical providers can help organizations and teams build strong plans and identify gaps or weaknesses in their proposed projects and systems. We find that providing technical support to finalists enables the teams to put forward competitive plans with well-articulated goals.
Our goal is to have all finalists emerge with strong, fundable plans enhanced with support from the technical advisors we provide during the competition process.
From previous experience, we know that many organizations tend to struggle in a few key areas:
- Expanding, Adapting, and Scaling Successful Interventions
- Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
- Strategic Communications & Fundraising
During the competition design phase, Lever for Change will recommend the type of support and provider(s) for finalists based on:
- Unique needs of the competition
- Known challenges/weaknesses of organizations in the field of the competition
- Geo-location of organizations
We typically have 1-2 providers that work with any given competition; however, donors may increase the level of support from our base package if they are interested in providing a wider range of support.
Our partnerships grow as we work with providers and gain confidence in their ability to work well with a variety of organizations. We seek partners that adhere to the following approach when working with social change organizations:
- Critical Friend provide critical yet respectful feedback to organizations in the spirit of strengthening the overall work and impact of the team
- Listen & Respect the knowledge and expertise of organizations’ leaders and staff
- Open & Transparent in all the work in which they are engaged and prepared to course-correct where needed
- Diverse & Inclusive within their own staffing as well as the perspectives they bring to their work