Lever for Change is a non-profit affiliate of the MacArthur Foundation. Based in Chicago, our growing, dedicated team is committed to unlocking significant philanthropic capital in order to solve the world's biggest challenges.
Lever for Change is currently hiring a Director of Communications. Please see the description below and follow the link to apply.
Director of Communications
The Director of Communications collaborates with Lever for Change staff to create and implement strategic communications plans that enhance the impact and visibility of Lever for Change’s work and the work of its donor partners and supporters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and implement a full communications strategy for LFC to ensure the work of LFC is communicated clearly and strategically to its target audiences, including donors, prospects and the general public
- Create, communicate and negotiate communications plans with ultra-high-net-worth individuals and their advisors around competitions they sponsor
- Develop consistent, updated and accessible messaging; support the adoption and use of that messaging; and create and implement tactics to connect the messaging to key audiences
- Write press releases, web and social media content, op-eds, talking points, briefings and LFC updates for LFC’s board members, CEO, staff, media, the public and others
- Build relationships, pitch stories and respond to inquiries from relevant media. Establish and maintain relationships with domestic and international press contacts.
- Manage and partner with external firms engaged in marketing and communications work for LFC
- Work closely with colleagues in MacArthur Communications for 100&Change competition to determine shared priorities, consistent messaging and overall communications strategy
- Produce the quarterly Lever for Change newsletter
- Develop and implement social media strategy related to LFC competition launches; new hires; executive speaking engagements; published articles, videos and blogs
- Issue at least three press releases per competition (at launch, when finalists are selected, when grant is made) and at other newsworthy times
- Develop collateral materials for Bold Solutions Network (including web copy/talking points about advantages of being listed in Bold Solutions Network), competitions and any products we create
- Assist in LFC website development - build out areas that focus on what we should be communicating about LFC services and value
- Identify storytelling opportunities that help LFC to communicate its value, mission and vision for the philanthropy field
- Refine LFC brand and develop brand guidelines
- Advise competition applicants on how to tell clear and compelling stories of impact
- Recommend key conferences and speaking opportunities for LFC leadership
- Ability to use Google analytics and other information to refine messaging that is useful and important for field